Just World Educational is a non-profit organization headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia that provides resources that critically examine the United States’ role in the world, with a focus on issues of war, peace, and justice— and particular attention to the Middle East.
We have an engaged, country-spanning board. Bios of all our board members (and a lot more information about JWE) can be found here.
Projects we undertook in the first ten months of 2017 included:
- a 4-city speaking tour by health-and-rights specialist, and JWE board member, Alice Rothchild, who had recently returned from Gaza;
- a discussion, livestreamed globally from Israel, with peace activist Larry Derfner;
- a speaking tour that brought the brilliant Palestinian cartoonist Mohammad Sabaaneh to 15 cities all across the United States;
- a very successful online campaign, “Gaza51Days”, that raised awareness of the situation in Gaza and brought Gaza-rights activists from around the world together into two informative “tweetchats” ;
- a 3-city east-coast tour by Algerian national heroine Zohra Drif;
- the start of a west-coast speaker series exploring the ties between war and environmental harm.
Reports that give many more details about all those projects can be found on our blog.
Our plans for 2018 include:
- organizing a nationwide speaker series, backed up by multimedia section on our website, that examines the impact of boycott/divestment in social-justice struggles—historically, and in the context of today’s growing (but much-threatened) Palestinian-rights movement;
- continuing support for a speaker series on US-UN relations, featuring veteran UN-watcher Ian Williams;
- a project planned for Earth Day (April 22), involving both online activism and community-based gatherings, to explore the many links between war and environmental harm;
- support for the campaign that peace activist Miko Peled and others are waging to draw attention to the injustices visited on the American Muslim humanitarian workers known as the Holy Land Five;
- bringing cartoonist Mohammad Sabaaneh back to the United States, so that community groups in other cities can host him; and
- continued updating and refining of our website, to make it a go-to location for multimedia collections on issues like: Gaza; the history of the 6-party JCPOA with Iran; the ties between war and environmental harm; and US-UN relations.
Can you help us implement our plans?
We appreciate many forms of help, including ideas, suggestions, offers to volunteer with us, etc. But our need for financial support is pressing!
Three ways to give:
- We have an online fundraiser running through the end of 2017. You’ll find it at: bit.ly/Help-JWE. The page gives more details of three of our 2018 projects—and fun rewards for donors. (It’s easy to send the web-page on to your friends, too!)
- Or, you can give via Paypal or credit card at this web-page: bit.ly/Paypal4JWE.
- Or, you can send us a check (old-school-style!) by mailing it to: Just World Educational, PO Box 5484, Charlottesville VA 22905.